Cinema Sessions Member Survey Results
(February with 57 members)
Question 1. Tell us how likely you are to come to see these films at the Normal Theater (NT) for the Cinema Sessions event on April 26th or any Cinema Sessions free film showing? [Shown in rank order from the most to the least likely to see.]
[Rating: 3.1] Loving:
2016; Biography, Drama, Romance; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4669986 ; The story of Richard and Mildred Loving, an interracial couple, whose marriage challenges the anti-miscegenation of the day; and whose challenge ends at the Supreme Court.
[Rating: 2.7] Papa Hemingway in Cuba
2015; Biography, Drama; www.imdb.com/title/tt2749282 ; Winner of two film festivals awards. In 1959, a young journalist travels to Cuba to meet with the legendary Hemingway against the backdrop of the Cuban Revolution.
[Rating:2.5] Love & Friendship
2016; www.imdb.com/title/tt3068194; Comedy; A beautiful widow, who has committed her own indiscretions, takes up temporary residence at her in-law’s estate
[Rating: 2.4] Friends and Romans
Comedy; 2015; www.imdb.com/title/tt3480942 ; A group of life-long mob movie extras fancy themselves as actors and want to stage Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar
[Rating: 2.4] The Fabulous Patars, (French
release as Cigarettes et Chocolat Chaud)
Comedy; 2016; France; A single father struggles with his two daughters’ education and his two jobs. Then he is forced to attend parenting classes; www.imdb.com/title/tt5137222
[Rating: 2.4] Chasing Trane
John Coltrane Feature Documentary; Documentary, Biography, Music; www.imdb.com/title/tt4287434/; The film explores the global power and impact of the music of John Coltrane and reveals the passions, experiences and forces that shaped his life and revolutionary sounds. Also features Denzel Washington, Sonny Rollins and Wynton Marsalis. Exceptional reviews.
Question 2. What most determines whether you will attend the free Cinema Sessions films provided by BNF?
The movie selection is attractive [87.72%]
2. My schedule is open for that weekday night [71.93%]
3. It's a free movie [36.84%]
4. The weather is nice [14.04%]
5. I have a guest that will go with me (a member is allowed to bring a guest) [8.77%]
6. I know there will be parking available [1.75%]
Question 3. For a Cinema Sessions free movie event, which type of movie do you prefer?
English speaking [50.88%] Foreign [36.84%] Documentary [12.28%]
Question 4. Which movie genres do you most prefer for a weekday evening Cinema Sessions film that is free?
Comedy 80.70%; Drama 70.18%; Historical epics 35.09%; Adventure 15.79%; Musicals/Dance 10.53%; Crime 3.51% 2Sci Fi 3.51%; Horror 1.75%; War 0; Action 0; Westerns 0
Farlee Film Festival Survey Results
(January with 89 members responding)
The theme most highly rated from the BNF Member Survey in January was "A Salute to Women Directors.” Eighty nine members responded to the survey; thanks go out from the Board for the wonderful participation! (View the completed results) From the survey feedback the following films were recommended to the Normal Theater management. Four of these films will be shown during the Spring Farlee Film Festival “A Salute to Women Directors": March 9-12 and March 16-19. Those films in bold are the films the Theater is working on obtaining or have been confirmed. Stay tuned for updates on these.
- Certain Women - 2016 - IFC Films - Dir: Kelly Reichardt, France
- The Fits (confirmed) - 2015 - Oscilloscope - Dir: Anna Rose Holmer, France
- Girlhood - 2014 - France (French) - Strand Releasing - Dir: Céline Sciamma, France
- Pariah - 2011 - Focus Features - Dir: Dee Rees, USA
- Queen of Katwe - 2016 - Walt Disney - Dir: Mira Nair, USA
- Tallulah - 2016 - Netflix - Dir: Sian Heder, USA
- Tomboy - 2011 - France (French) - Rocket Releasing - Dir: Célline Sciamma, France
- Toni Erdmann - 2016 - Germany, Austria (German) - Sony - Dir: Maren Ade, Germany
- White Material - 2010 - IFC Films - France (French) - Dir: Claire Denis, France
BNF Film Recommendations for the New Year 2017
In the interest of getting film recommendations for 2017 to the Normal Theater as soon as possible, the Board developed this list of films that fit within the mission of Beyond Normal Films for independent, foreign, and documentary films.
- Those titles in blue the Normal Theater has informed us either will be shown, or the theater is actively seeking to obtain for showings at the Normal.
- Those titles in green may be showing at other local theaters. Check IMDB Showtimes
- Indignation - 2016 - Roadside Attractions
- Loving – Nov. 2016 – Focus Features
- Manchester By the Sea – Nov. 2016 - Roadside Attractions
- Moonlight - 2016 - A24
- Certain Women – Oct. 2016 – IFC Films
- I, Daniel Blake – Dec. 2016 – UK – Sundance Selects
- Lion – 2016 – Weinstein Bros
- Little Men - 2016 - Magnolia Pictures
- Paterson – Dec. 2016 - Focus Features
FOREIGN LANGUAGE (14)
- Fireworks Wednesday – 2006/USA 2016 – Iran (Persian) - Grasshopper Films
- Frantz – 2016 - France/Germany (French/German) - Music Box Films
- A Man Called Ove - 2016 - Sweden (Swedish, Persian) - Music Box Films
- Sand Storm – 2016 - Israel (Arabic) – Kino Lorber
- Elle –Nov. 2016 - France (French) – Sony
- Ixcanul /Volcano– 2016 – Guatemala/France (Spanish) – Kino-Lorber
- Our Little Sister - 2016 - Japan (Japanese) - Sony Pictures Classics
- Marguerite - 2015 - France (English, French, Italian) - Cohen Media Group
- My King – 2016 – France (French) - Film Movement
- Neruda – 2016 – Chile, Argentina (Spanish)– The Orchard
- Theeb – Nov. 2015 – United Arab Emirates (Arabic) – Film Movement
- Toni Erdmann – 2016 – Germany, Austria (German) - Sony
- Under the Shadow - 2016 - Iran (Persian) - Vertical Entertainment
- A War – 2016 – Denmark (Danish, Arabic) - Magnolia Pictures
- Landfill Harmonic – 2015 – Paraguay (Spanish, English) - Emerging Pictures
- Trapped – 2016 - Big Mouth Productions
- Disturbing the Peace - 2016- Abramorama
- Maya Angelou and Still I Rise –2016 – Arc Entertainmen